Dreamsports Center uses the AAU/USARS Rule Book for its official rules.
We do have some house rules which overrule the AAU/USARS Rule Book. They are listed below.
- Fighting will result in a 1-year suspension.
- Attempting to, or intentionally injuring another player will result in a minimum 1-year suspension. Threatening to injure and then showing any indication of effort to carry out that threat will be treated as if it were carried out.
- Adult teams may play a game with 5 skaters and no goalie. Youth teams must have a goalie throughout the game in order to play.
- The AAU rulebook gives teams a five minute grace period before a forfeit is called due to the team not having sufficient players. In order to be as flexible as possible in attempting to allow a game to happen, if there are still insufficient players, the ref’s will start the game clock but play will not begin until both teams have the minimum number of players. A 2-minute delay of game penalty will be assessed once play is started. If after 10 minutes have run off the game clock, a team still does not have sufficient players, that team will forfeit the game. The teams will be permitted to use the rink for scrimmage or practice time for the balance of their allotted time.
- The clock will automatically stop in the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period of a game with a 2-goal differential or less.
- Overtime Timekeeping:
Regular Season: 5 minute sudden death overtime followed by a 3-person shootout.
Playoffs: 10 minute sudden death overtime followed by a 3-person shootout
There is no stop clock in overtime.
- Substitute Player Policy:
Youth: Teams are allowed to substitute for missing players up to a limit of 6 skaters. All substitutes must be approved by Matt before the start of the game. Substitutes should be intermediate or beginner level players. All substitutes must have their name written down on the roster in order to be eligible to play.
Adult: Subs can be made as long as the substitute player’s skill level is not more than one division higher or lower than the Division he or she is substituting into. Team fees must be paid in full or the sub is required to pay $15.50 in order to play. All subs must be listed on the roster and approved by the Director of Hockey or the on duty Manager at the time of the game.
Playoffs: No substitutes are allowed unless it is for a missing goalie. Goalie substitutes must be approved by Matt before the start of any game.
- Youth 5 Goal maximum per player: No player will be permitted to score more than 5 goals in a single game. If a player scores after already scoring 5 goals, the goal will be disallowed and an 2-minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty will be assessed to the offending player.
- Youth Uniform Requirement: All youth skaters must have all required gear plus wear an official Dreamsports rec league jersey. Players without this will not be permitted to play. Goalies may wear any jersey. Travel Jerseys do not count as Rec League Jerseys.
- Youth Coaches: All youth teams must have at least one and no more than 3 adult coach(es) on the bench at all times during a game. Assistant coaches under the age of 18 must wear a helmet whenever they are not behind the glass. Coaches in our rec league are expected to play everyone equally and support the spirit of a recreational league. Dreamsports reserves the right to revoke the privilege of coaching for any coach that does not support this philosophy. Non-parent coaches will be asked to submit to background checks through Dreamsports selected agency at Dreamsports’ cost.
Required Equpment: Helmet with a cage, elbow pads, shin guards, cup or pelvic protector, colored mouth piece that attaches to helmet, in-line hockey gloves, in-line hockey skates, in-line hockey pants, Dreamsports Rec League Jersey, and a hockey stick. Equipment must not be damaged and all protective gear must be covered except for Gloves and Helmet (Elbow pads and shin guards may not be exposed).